June 17, 2011

the dead woman's shoes



I have a friend named daniel.  he is fifty-six, and his second wife died in november.  his first wife died six years ago.  the first time we met, he told me he didn't love either of them.  
the love of his life lives in france.

they haven't spoken in ten years.

he doesn't want to call her, he explained.  she might still live with her mother, and her parents hated him.  he wanted to write her a letter, but she doesn't speak english.

this is where I come in.

we wrote dozens of letters.  he wrote on scraps of paper, old envelopes, backs of receipts.  I translated.  after a month of writing, translating, crossing out, we had a letter.  he mailed it on valentine's day.

daniel gave me a pair of louis vuitton shoes from paris. they belonged to his wife.  I can't bring myself to wear them.



9 comments:

  1. that's such a sweet story, really heartfelt. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't want to wear them either, even though they are beautiful!
    xo Cara
    http://www.afashionloveaffair.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a heart warming story. Thanks! Have a great weekend!

    Just a Silhouette

    ReplyDelete
  4. What happened?!? The shoes a are beautiful present but I'm on the edge of my seat! Following! Follow back?

    Www.theplatinumbatch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're beautiful shoes but I can understand why you would have a strange feeling about wearing them. Thank you for commenting on the sheath dress transformation! I'm following your blog, www.bravoerunway.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a strange story...I don't know maybe you should wear them but I also understand your doubt, I mean the lady who used to wear them-his exwife-is dead..but if you like them that's what matters right?

    www.letiziabarcelona.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh what a story!! If you don't feel comfortable, you shouldn't wear them :)
    Love,
    Alicia Mi Mundo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a friend named Daniel at church once. He walked over from the Gospel Mission. He told me that he's seen Jesus and he looks EXACTLY like the Jesus you see in the paintings with the long hair, beard, and robe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the comment on my blog. I really love yours and this story is amazing! I love the shoes too. Following you! Follow me back if you would like?

    http://fashionablyawkwardr.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete